There are a numerous lakes in India. Wular Lake is the largest freshwater lake in India. Sambhar Lake is the largest inland saltwater lake in India. You can read some interesting facts about lakes in India which are given in this article. Here is the list of important lakes of India and you can download the list in pdf file through the link which is mentioned below.
Important Lakes of India
- Kolleru lake located in Andhra Pradesh.
- It is the largest lake in India.
- This lake located between Krishna and Godavari delta.
- Wular Lake is located in Jammu Kashmir.
- It is the largest Freshwater Lake in India.
- This lake is by the Jhelum and its basin was formed as a result of tectonic activity.
- Sambhar lake is in Rajasthan.
- The largest inland salt lake in India is Sambhar lake.
- Puskar lake is located in Pushkar in Ajmer district of the Rajasthan.
- Pushkar Lake is a sacred lake of the Hindus.
- Pulicat Lake is in Andhra Pradesh
- It is the second-largest lagoon in India.
- The Sriharikota island separates the lake from the Bay of Bengal.
- Satish Dhawan Space Centre is located at Sriharikota Island.
- Loktak Lake is located in Manipur
- It is the largest freshwater lake in North -East of India.
- KeibulLamjao is also known as floating national park in the world floats over Loktak Lake.
- This lake is situated in Kerala
- It is the largest freshwater lake in Kerala.
- This lake also located in Kerala.
- The longest lake in India is Vembanad lake.
- The Nehru Trophy Boat Race is conducted in this lake.
- Chilka Lake is located in Odisha.
- It is the largest coastal lagoon in India.
- Chilka is the 2nd largest lagoon in the world.
- Dal Lake is located in Jammu Kashmir
- Asia’s largest Tulip garden is situated on the banks of Dal Lake.
- This lake is in Gujarat
- The lake Nalsarovar is declared a bird sanctuary in 1969.
- Tsongmo Lake or Changu Lake is a glacial lake located in the East Sikkim.
- Guru Purnima festival is celebrated on the bank of this lake.
- The water of Tsomogo lake contains healing qualities.
- Bhimtal Lake is a C shaped lake in Uttarakhand
- It is the largest lake in the Kumaon region.
- This lake is located at Kerala
- Periyar Lake is formed when construction of the dam across the Mullaperiyar River.
- Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary is near the Periyar Lake.
Hussain Sagar Lake
- This lake is located in Telangana
- Hazrat Hussain Shah Wali built the Hussain Sagar lake in 1962.
- Hyderabad and Secunderabad are the twins’ city which is connected by this lake.
- A monolithic Buddha statue on the Rock of Gibraltar installed at the center of the lake.
- Barapani or Umiam Lake is in Shillong (Meghalaya).
- Nainital Lake is in Uttarakhand
- The shape of the Nainital lake is Kidney-shaped or crescent-shaped.
- Nainital is the lake district of India.
Salim Ali Lake
- This Lake Lake is located in Maharashtra
- Salim Ali Sarovar is also known as Salim Ali Talab is located near Delhi Gate, Aurangabad.
- Kanwar Lake is located at Bihar
- It is the largest freshwater oxbow lake in Asia.
- Bhojtar Lake is located in Madhya Pradesh
- This lake is known as Upper Lake lies on the western side of the Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh).
- It is the largest artificial lake in Asia.
To download PDF file of the List of Lakes in India click on the below link.
You Might Also Like: