Here is the list of 12 major ports in India. There are 13 major ports in India and all major ports, except one Ennore Port, are administered by the government of India. As per the analysis of the previous year’s paper of various competitive exams, it has been seen that questions are asked from this topic. List of Ports in India is an important topic of Static GK which is part of every Government exam. Here you can download pdf file of List of Ports in India, the link is given below.
13 Major Sea Ports in India
All the majors and minor sea ports in India are located on the coastal line of 9 Indian States i.e. West Bengal, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, and Kerala. Maharashtra state host the maximum number of seaports in India with 53 ports.
- Maharashtra (53)
- Gujarat (40)
- Andhra Pradesh (12)
|Name of the Port||Coast||State|
|Visakhapatnam||Eastern Coast||Andhra Pradesh|
|Krishnapatnam Port||Eastern Coast||Andhra Pradesh|
|Kolkata||Eastern Coast||West Benga|
Some Important Notes About Ports in India
- India has a coastline spanning about 7516.6 kilometers.
- The Coastline of India forms one of the biggest peninsulas in the world.
- There are 200 minor & intermediate ports and 12 major ports in India.
- The Indian Government has allowed Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) under the automatic route for port and harbor construction and maintenance projects: Up to 100 percent
- All major ports, except one Ennore Port, are administered by the government of India.
- Kandla Port is also known as Deendayal Port is the largest port of India.
- Kolkata Port is the only riverine major port in India.
- Madras Port is one of the oldest ports of India and the second largest port of the country.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port is also known as Nhava Sheva located in the east of Mumbai and It is the largest container port in India.
- Chennai Port is the largest port in the Bay of Bengal.
- Direct weekly container service to the United States is provided by Tuticorin Port.
- Mumbai Port is one of the oldest modern ports in India.
- The new name of Ennore Port is Kamarajar Port Limited.
- The name of the youngest seaport of India is recognized in 2010 i.e. Port Blair.
- Tuticorin Port located in the Gulf of Mannar.is now known as V.O.Chidambaranar Port.
- Kandla port is popularly known for the handling of the crude oil imports of India.
Watch Video to Know More About Ports in India
F.A.Q. in Competitive Exams (Sea Ports in India)
What is the name of the oldest artificial harbor on the East Coast of India?
Chennai Port is the oldest artificial harbor on the East Coast of India
Which port is the natural harbor on the west coast of India
Kochi Port also known as Cochin Port is the natural harbor on the west coast of India.
Which port is known as Jawaharlal Nehru Port ?
Nhava Sheva port is also known as Jawaharlal Nehru Port which is located on the western coast.
The largest Quantity of iron ore is exported through which port in India?
Which sea port in India handles the largest volume of our foreign trade ?
Bombay, This port is the largest port in India by size and traffic.
If you are preparing for any competitive exam then you must go through this list and you can also download the list in pdf format, the link is given below.
As we know that Static GK (General Knowledge) is important for every competitive exam. We have a good collection of all Static GK which are very useful for competitive exams conducted by SSC, IBPS, SBI, and other exams.
Other Useful Article of Static GK