Who does not know computers in today’s time? From children to old people are familiar with this word because the computer has made our life easier. Do you know the full form of COMPUTER? If not then read this article to know a lot about the computer, its types and important parts of the computer.
Full Form Of COMPUTER
This is the full form of computer which is commonly used for acronym COMPUTER. In fact, COMPUTER is not an acronym and it is derived from the Latin word “computare” which means to calculate, to sum up, or to count. First of all, Computer was built to do fast calculations or we can say that the computer word comes from a compute word. The full form of COMPUTER which has been discussed above is a myth and it does not make any sense because the computer was invented only for calculation purposes. Keep scrolling to collect more information about today’s topic “Computer”.
दोस्तों Computer शब्द की उत्पत्ति अंग्रेजी के ‘Compute’ शब्द से मानी जाती है जिसका अर्थ है गणना करना और ये बात इसलिए सच है क्यूंकि Computer का अविष्कार गणनाओ को तेजी से करने के लिए किया गया था। Computer को हिंदी में संगणक कहा जाता है जिसका सीधा-सीधा मतलब ये है की एक ऐसी मशीन जो तीव्र गति से गणनाएँ करने में सक्षम हो।
Definition of Computer
The computer is an electronic device that can be programmed to carry out a set of arithmetic or logical operations automatically. A computer accepts data from the user or we can say that some input is given to the computer, it processes the input/data by performing operations and calculations and then gives the desired output.
Data Processing Cycle of A Computer comprises of the following three simple steps:
- Input: The data which is fed into a computer by the user through the keyboard or any other device.
- Processing: Some calculations and operations are performed by the computer when a user gives a command.
- Output: The result of the processing that is stored and displayed to the user by means of output devices like monitor, printer is called output.
Parts of A Computer
Let us talk about the major parts of a computer that makes it an incredible machine. There are four major parts of a computer which are as follow:
- Input Devices
- CPU (Central Processing Unit)
- Output Devices
- Storage Devices
Input Devices: These are the devices that can be used to insert data into a computer. For example, the Keyboard is an input device. it is used to do typing of alphabets and numbers and other commands, basically we provide raw data to the computer with the help of input devices.
Central Processing Unit (CPU): As the brain of humans is responsible to control all the activities of our body similarly CPU is the brain and main unit inside the computer. It controls all internal and external devices, performs arithmetic and logic operations, interprets and executes instructions.
CPU= ALU + Memory Unit + Control Unit
Output Devices: Output devices are those devices that can display information provided by the computer after the execution of the command or you can say that any machine capable of representing information from a computer is known as an output device. Example: Monitor, printer, Speaker.
Storage Devices: As name suggest, these are devices that can be used to store data that can be retrieved later. Storage devices or memory of computer is divided into two parts.
- Primary Storage Devices (Main Storage)
- Secondary Storage Devices (Backup Storage)
Types of Computer
Here we have discussed types of computers on the basis of operations, configuration, Utility and mode of use.
Based on Operations:
- Analog Computer: These types of computers are used in the calculation of physical variables such as voltage, pressure, temperature, speed, etc. Analog computers provide output in the form of graphs.
- Digital Computer: Digital computers can perform faster and give more accurate results. Therefore these types of computers are extensively used for solving complex problems in the field of engineering & technology, research, and data processing.
- Hybrid Computer: These types of computers are a combination of analog and digital computers. Hybrid computers can be used for logical operations as well as efficient processing of differential equations.
Based on Configuration:
- Micro Computer: Microcomputers are small in size and inexpensive computers that are used for personal use at homes for playing games and surfing the Internet.
- Mini Computer: Minicomputers possess the all features of a microcomputer but these are smaller in size in comparison to microcomputers.
- Mainframe Computer: Mainframe computers are very expensive and large size computers and they are used for specific large-scale applications. These computers capable of supporting hundreds of users at the same time.
- Super Computer: Supercomputers are powerful, expensive, and the fastest computers.
Based On Utility
- General Purpose Computer
- Special Purpose Computer
Based On Mode of Use
- Palmtop Computer
- Laptop Computer
- Personal Computer (PC)
- Client and Server
Generations Of Computers
Let us have a look at the below table which is telling about the different generation of computers. Keep in mind that each generation is characterized by a major technology development.
|Components||Vacuums Tubes||Transistors||Integrated Circuits (ICs)||Microprocessor, Large ICs||Silicon Chips, ULSI, AI|
|Computer||EDVAC, ENIAC, EDSAC, UNIVAC||IBM-401||IBM-370||PDP 11||Notebook, Ultrabook|
Frequently Asked Questions About Computer
Who is known as the father of Computer?
Who is the father of modern Computer Science?
First Non-programmable Electronic Digital Computer?
Atanasoff Berry Computer (ABC)
First General Purpose Electronic Digital Computer?
Electronic Numerical Integrator and Calculator (ENIAC)
Name of the first Micro Processor?
First Super Computer in the world?
Cray CDC 6600
First Super Computer of India?
Fastest Super Computer in India?
Dear Reader, If you have any queries or any further information regarding full form of computer, you may share with us through the comment section. We will assist you and provide the most suitable information regarding the same. Thanks!